If you’re looking forward to the festive season, but still want to do your bit for the environment, here’s our 10 top tips for planet friendly festivities:
1. Only buy wrapping paper and cards that can be recycled. Avoid any that contain glitter or foil, are lined with foil or plastic, or include batteries – they can’t be recycled.
2. Homemade wrapping paper and cards are a great alternative. Watch Surrey Environment Partnership’s short ‘how to’ film.
3. Create your own wreath from natural materials. And compost afterwards.
4. Make your own crackers and decorations out of recyclable materials. There are lots of great ideas online.
5. Choose a real Christmas tree. They can be recycled in some areas or taken to your local community recycling centre.
6. Repair or re-wear festive jumpers. Avoid fast fashion and buying new.
7. Upcycle items that you might otherwise throw away. Give as gifts instead, watch Surrey Environment Partnership’s film for inspiration.
8. Support local businesses and the planet. Buy presents and decorations from zero waste shops in Surrey – see details below.
9. Select energy-saving LED fairy lights. They use far less energy than filament light bulbs.
10. Plan your festive food shopping. Try Surrey Environment Partnership’s delicious recipes to turn leftovers into tasty meals, and freeze what you might need later.
Zero waste shops in Surrey
- Ash: Twin Larder
- Caterham: Pedrick’s Zero Waste
- Cranleigh: For Earth’s Sake
- Dorking: Zero Waste Bulk Foods
- Farnham: Keep Zero Waste shop at the Okomoko Cafe
- Fetcham and Ashtead: Fetch’em from the Cupboard
- Godalming: Deli Zero Waste Refill
- Godalming: The Yard Market
- Guildford: Emmanuel Church refill shop
- Milford: Secretts and Keep
- Reigate: New Leaf Zero Waste shop
- Sutton Green: Noel’s Farm Shop
- West Molesey: Born from Necessity
- Woking: Bare and Fair
- Woking: Refill and Refuel