Most of us are looking forward to the festive period but let’s face it, the cost of everything has gone up. If you’re committed to a ‘green’ and planet friendly celebration, we have ten ways you can save money and the planet this Christmas.
1.Only buy wrapping paper and cards that can be recycled. Avoid any that contain glitter, are lined with foil or plastic, and include batteries.
2. Homemade wrapping paper, cards and decorations like wreaths, are a great alternative. This approach will save you cash and you can recycle afterwards. Have you considered wrapping presents in material instead of paper? Watch our short ‘how to’ film.
4. Make your own crackers and decorations out of recyclable materials. There are lots of great ideas online.
5. Choose a real Christmas tree. They can be recycled in some areas or taken to your local community recycling centre.
6. Repair or re-wear festive jumpers – or buy them second-hand. Avoiding fast fashion is a sustainable choice and it’s easier on your finances too.
7. Upcycle items that you might otherwise throw away. Creating less waste in the first place is a gift itself. Watch our film for inspiration.
8. Support local businesses. Buy presents and decorations from zero-waste shops in Surrey – see details below.
9. Choose LED fairy lights. They use far less energy than filament light bulbs and are cheaper. To keep your energy bills lower, consider only switching on lights in the room that you’re in to save energy costs.
10. Plan your festive food shopping to avoid over buying. Have you tried using a food shopping app? We have some delicious recipes that will transform leftovers into tasty meals and you can always freeze what you might need later.
Zero-waste shops in Surrey
- Caterham: Pedrick’s Zero Waste
- Cranleigh: For Earth’s Sake
- Dorking: Zero Waste Bulk Foods
- Fetcham and Ashtead: Greenwise
- Godalming: Deli Zero Waste Refill
- Godalming: Yard Market
- Guildford: Emmanuel Church household products and refill station
- Milford: Secretts Farm Shop
- Sutton Green: Noel’s Farm Shop
- West Molesey: Born From Necessity
- Woking: Bare and Fair
- Woking: Refill and Refuel
It’s easy to think doing any of these things won’t make a difference, but lots of small changes will make a big impact!