Green Santa is back! As well as wishing us all a merry old time, he has a Christmas wish too – please give a gift to the planet as well as your family and friends.
That means avoiding cards with batteries and glitter and steering clear of wrapping paper with a foil or plastic lining. To stay in Green Santa’s good books this year, you can:
1. Recycle all your cardboard. Mince pie, biscuit, and chocolate boxes; delivery and toy boxes. Fold to make more room.
2. Empty, rinse and dry all food and drink packaging. Then place in your recycling bin, loose not bagged.
3. Recycle all your cards and wrapping. So long as they are glitter, foil and plastic free, please place in your recycling bin.
4. Place unrecyclable items such as polystyrene, bubble wrap, and plastic film in your rubbish bin. If in doubt, check it out with the Surrey Recycles search tool or app.
5. Plan your festive food shopping in advance with a food app. Freeze leftovers or extra food to enjoy later.
6. Get creative with your leftovers. Why not try out some of Surrey Environment Partnership’s delicious recipes?
7. Put food that can’t be eaten into your food caddy. Such as bones, eggshells and peelings.
8. Remember some items must be recycled separately. Unwanted gifts like clothes, small electricals and batteries cannot be placed in your recycling bin.