It’s always a good idea to ‘know before you throw’ as putting the wrong items in the recycling bin can spoil the rest of the recycling, and it costs more for councils to deal with.
But as recycling can be confusing it’s not surprising to know at least one unrecyclable item goes into our recycling each week – and across Surrey’s population of approximately 1.2 million that quickly stacks up!
So why not try out these five recycling hacks?
- Test your recycling know-how. Play our interactive waste sorting game to see what goes where. Enter the free prize draw to win a planet friendly prize.
- If in doubt, check it out. Some items look recyclable but actually aren’t, even if the label says so. Use our online search tool or download the Surrey Recycles app to ‘know before you throw’.
- Get it sorted. Food and garden waste, small electricals, batteries and textiles recycling are collected separately in most areas, they don’t go in your recycling bin. Use the search tool or app to find out.
- Keep it clean and dry. No food or drink as moisture and grease will ruin cardboard and paper and make it unrecyclable. Empty, rinse and dry food and drink packaging.
- Loosen up. Place all items loose – nothing in bags, sacks or bin liners. Crews need to be able to quickly see the items to check they are recyclable.
Thank you for recycling. Every time you recycle right you protect the planet and save money that could be spent on essential services, it’s definitely worth the effort.