Joint Waste Solutions, together with its contractor Amey collects and uses personal data and information about you in many different ways depending on how you use our services – to browse, search and share information, to apply for goods and services, or to use our services and facilities.
Your privacy is important to us and as a commissioner and provider of goods and services, we handle personal data in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act) and Joint Waste Solutions operates as the data processor.
Our Privacy Notice sets out:
- personal data that we collect, process and store;
- how we process and use personal data we collect;
- combining personal data;
- disclosure of personal data;
- how and where we store personal data;
- your access to information;
- changes to our Privacy Notice; and
- our contact information.
Personal data that we collect
When you visit the sites (either JWS or Amey) or if you give us any personal information about yourself or others, both JWS and Amey will treat it securely, fairly and lawfully. We collect personal data to provide better services to you and to make our Sites more secure and easier to use.
We will only collect, ask for and process personal data that we believe to be adequate, relevant, and not excessive in relation to the purposes for which it is collected, or for which it is further processed, so you can continue searching the site or in response to you actively applying for or using one of our online products or services.
We collect personal data in the following ways:
Personal data you give us:
Data (for example, names, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers, financial and credit card information, personal descriptions and photographs) you enter about you and other persons by filling in forms or email correspondence when you register to use our site, subscribe to our services, search for a product, place an order, report a problem, participate in discussion boards or enter a competition, and other similar activities.
Personal data we collect from your use of our services:
When you visit or search our site for information or to access our online services, we collect, store and process information about that activity, the services you use and how you use the Site and our online services. For example, the pages you visited, your device information and unique identifiers, network (Internet Protocol (IP)) address, phone numbers, login data, your location, internet browser information, settings, unique application numbers, and cookie data.
We also process the kind of information as described above when you use any other sites we operate or sites which operate on behalf of JWS/Amey.
Why we process personal data
Both JWS and Amey processes this personal data we collect from all our services to continuously provide and maintain the highest possible quality products and services to its valued customers and the wider public, including to:
- Carry out our legal and contractual obligations, and continuously improve the quality of our products and services.
- Keep customer information up to date.
- Provide you with tailored content and up to date information on our products and services, and to notify you of any changes as and when they occur.
- Provide up to date information on products and services advertised and/or provided by affiliated third party organisations.
- Ensure content on our site is of interest, useful and presented in the most relevant manner to you and our other valued customers and the wider public.
- Encourage feedback and participation in interactive services.
- Measure and understand the effectiveness of advertising and improve how we communicate.
- Maintain and continuously improve security designed to prevent, deter, detect and manage unauthorised access and protect against errors, fraud, misuse and abuse of our Site.
- Administration of our Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analytics, measurement, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes.
Combining personal data
We may combine data among our online services and equipment, across devices you use to access the Site, and across data obtained and processed from offline services and equipment, including personal data obtained when you visit our offices, communicate with us via postal services or from external sources for the purposes for processing described. For example, we may combine data you provide via the public postal services and data you provided in an online application on the Sites to provide a service to you, or improve our services to the wider public.
We may also use personal data you provide for one service, product or process across all of the services we offer that require this same personal data or across departments or business units that process personal data to provide similar or additional services and products to you or on your behalf so that you are represented consistently across all our services and processes.
Sharing personal data
Both JWS and Amey will always respect the choices and requests you make to limit sharing your personal data and only share personal data where it is compatible with the purposes for processing described or where there is a legal requirement to do so.
JWS and Amey will not share personal data to any external organisation or third party unless JWS/Amey has the customer’s consent or is required by law or have previously informed the customer and has a legal basis to share their personal data.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Government and business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the provision of products or services, and performance of contracts we enter into, for example, IT service providers.
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our Site.
- Credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score where this is a condition of us entering into a contract with you.
- Payment processing agencies for the purpose of validating your account details or taking payment.
- In the event that we sell or buy any service or assets, in which case we may disclose personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If a partner or third party or substantially all of its assets are acquired by another third party, in which case personal data held by it about our customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- Additionally, we may share data with advertisers and advertising networks that require personal data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others.
- If you choose to receive information about our services we will only contact you for this purpose and you can contact us at any time to stop receiving such information.
Where we store personal data
All personal data provided to us is processed using managed devices and equipment, and stored on our secure servers or the servers of our contracted partners.
Any payment transactions and transfer of sensitive personal data will be encrypted.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential and not to share with, or disclose to, anyone.
The transmission of personal data via the public internet is not secure. Although JWS/Amey will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict policies, procedures and controls to prevent, detect and respond to unauthorised access.
To operate effectively and efficiently, we use Information Technology (IT) Services, which may sometimes be based or supported outside the UK and European Economic Area (EEA). All our IT services comply with the principles of the Data protection Act 1998. The systems holding the data may be accessed from outside of the EEA when technical and operational support of our infrastructure and information systems is needed, or there is a legal or business requirement to do so.
Access to your personal data
Data protection laws give you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. Any access request to JWS/Amey may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy notices and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these notices before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Right to be forgotten
We do not retain your information longer than is required for our processing, and hence automatically delete your information when no longer required.
Changes to our Privacy Notice
Any changes JWS/Amey may make to our Privacy Notice in the future, will be posted on this page, and where appropriate notified to you by email. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to our Privacy Notice.
Our contact information
Questions, comments and requests regarding this Privacy Notice are welcomed.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller of your personal data is jointly JWS and Amey.
The Councils nominated representatives for the purpose of the Act are Joint Waste Services acting on behalf of the Authorities and Amey LG Ltd acting on behalf of itself.
For further information about information rights and independent advice, visit the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) website.