Recycling collection – Surrey Heath
If you live in a house your recycling bin is emptied on alternate weeks to your rubbish bin and should be put out by 6.00am on your property boundary, on your collection day.
If you live in a flat your service may be different. More details can be found on our collections from flats page.
All items in your bin should be clean, dry and loose – not in plastic bags or sacks.
- Dry paper and cardboard
- Clean plastic bottles, pots, tubs and trays – including detergent bottles, yoghurt pots, ready meal trays and ice cream tubs
- Clean metal food tins and drinks cans
- Clean aluminium foil and trays
- Clean glass bottles and jars
- Clean, empty food and drinks cartons (Tetra Paks)
- Plastic bags and other stretchable plastic film – such as empty carrier bags and bread bags
- If you often have more recycling than will fit into your recycling bin, you can get a free extra recycling bin. Simply complete the order a new bin form.
- You can also put your extra recycling in a clear, tied plastic bag and place it next to your bin on collection day. Plastic bags must be clear so that crews can see the contents of the bags; they have been instructed not to take black sacks or plastic bags that aren’t see-through.
- Dry, folded carboard left beside the bin will be collected. However, wet cardboard cannot be recycled and will not be collected. You should place dry cardboard in a clear plastic bag if it’s likely to get wet before collection.
- Non-stretchable film – such as cellophane
- Food pouches – such as pet and baby food pouches
- Hard plastics – such as Tupperware, toys and kitchen utensils
- Polystyrene – including polystyrene food trays
- Food waste – please empty items like jars before recycling them. Food waste is collected separately.
- Garden waste – this should be recycled separately
- Clothing and home textiles – these should be recycled separately
- Electricals and batteries – these should be recycled separately
- Business waste – this can be taken to a waste transfer station where it will be charged for
If you’re not sure of what to do with a specific item use the recycling search tool to find out.